Teaching to the Test:
A Practical Guide to the Preparation of Immigrants and Refugees for the Citizenship Interview
Friday, December 8, 2023
1:00-4:00 PM (Hybrid: Attend in person or via Zoom)
at First Literacy
160 Boylston Street, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02116 (across from the Boston Common)
This workshop will highlight the information most relevant to the preparation of immigrants and refugees for their citizenship interviews. It will include sections on background, general methodology, specific methodology, and practice interview customization. The workshop will be extremely detailed, with examples culled from more than six years of experience. It will conclude with a simulated in-person interview with one of my recent students from The Immigrant Learning Center.
Workshop Learning Objectives - Participants will be able to:
- Create a program with relevant materials for citizenship interview preparation
- Review a student's citizenship application to identify vulnerable areas
- Customize the program for an individual applicant's needs and English fluency
- Conduct task-specific exercises for civics, reading, writing, and conversation
- Conduct practice interviews in both teaching and simulation mode
Andy Koppel has been a citizenship instructor at The Immigrant Learning Center, Inc. for the past six-and-one-half years. During that time, he has worked extensively with a wide range of immigrants and refugees as they have prepared for their citizenship interviews. In addition, he has created some of the key materials he will discuss during the workshop.
This workshop is free to staff of all Massachusetts non-profit ABE and ESOL Programs.
Questions with an * are required. Thank you!