First Literacy Workshop Registration (two sessions via Zoom)
No ADULT Left Behind:
Student-Centered Strategies and Considerations for Working with Adult Learners with Disabilities
Friday, November 6 and
November 13, 2020
1:00 - 2:30 PM
Zoom virtual workshop
Working with adult students with overt or hidden disabilities is always a challenge. In this two-part workshop we will explore some mindsets, strategies and tools for working with students with disabilities, including learning disabilities. We will also examine Universal Design for Learning, disability rights, and accessing accommodations for the HiSET/GED.
- Define disability and inclusion in the context of adult education, explore tools to identify disabilities, identify ways to access other resources.
- Identify common learning disabilities and evaluate strategies and activities that can help students become self-actualized learners.
- Reflect on and share the tools and strategies from Part 1 participants tried in their programs.
- Learn about Universal Design for Learning (UDL), and explore how it can be integrated into programming.
- Identify and describe additional inclusive activities and strategies.
- Discuss the HiSET/GED accommodation procedure
Kelly Folsom teaches HiSET/GED, college transition, and job readiness classes for X-Cel Education in Boston. In 2018 he helped designed the Boston Common Accessibility Assessment Tool to assist programs in identifying students with hidden learning disabilities. He currently works with two blind students attempting to pass the HiSET. Previously, he taught middle and high school in Memphis, Washington, D.C. and Boston.
This workshop is free to staff of all Massachusetts non-profit ABE and ESOL Programs.
IMPORTANT: If you have used an email link to reach this form, please confirm that any pre-filled information is for your own contact information. If this is not you, please do not change the information until you use the "link at the top of this form to clear the form.
In order to register for this workshop, please complete the following form, making sure that any autofill information is correct. The questions with an * are required. Thank you.